Dear ASCE Philadelphia YMF members,
In our latest email blast, we introduced a new YMF initiative to establish a mentor program. As soon as this announcement was released, we received questions and comments from potential mentors and mentees alike expressing strong interest in taking part in the program. This feedback has been highly encouraging as we move towards the high arching goals of this initiative, which are as follows:
- Dream Big: The program is designed to connect every enrolled local student member with an industry professional in a one-to-one mentorship relationship.
- Start Small: Our commitment to establishing an effective mentor program builds from feedback of participants. Therefore, the program will kick off with a small group of students and a carefully selected group of mentors.
- Scale Quickly: In its pilot year, we will work with participants to streamline the mentoring process. From these lessons learned, we will expand capacity for more participants to meet our Dream Big goal.
We highly recommend that pairs communicate at least monthly for an effective mentoring relationship. The commitment of a mentor is one-year, although many mentor relationships have lasted beyond this time. Throughout the year, the YMF will recommend events as meet up opportunities for mentors and mentees to get to know each other, as well as others in the program.
We are currently looking for mentors with a preferred 3+ years of experience. If you are interested in volunteering as a mentor, please fill out the questionnaire linked here.
In addition to this initiative, the YMF Board is continuously working to plan events to serve our membership. For the month of September, we have the following:
- YMF Group Photo and Happy Hour organized by Ajin Fatima and Kristin Leese
- Wissahickon Devil's Pool Cleanup organized by Nick Kirn and Lauren Davenport
Nha Truong, PE, PMP
ASCE Philly YMF Read Past Presidents' Messages